Wake Forest College was founded in 1834 on a plantation purchased from Dr. Calvin Jones. Located in northern Wake County, the 617 acres was in an area known as the Forest of Wake because of its abundant hardwoods. The 1820 main dwelling became the home of the College’s first president, Dr. Samuel Wait. It was later moved twice on the campus and eventually became a boarding house for students. In 1956, the structure was donated by the Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary to the Wake Forest College Birthplace Society and moved to North Main Street. The new site, which had been the school’s first athletic field, was deeded to the Society by the trustees of Wake Forest College. Restored to its original appearance, the house was opened in 1979 as a museum and archives.